Locating Self-Taught and Visionary Art
The website sets out to establish a context for New Zealand Self-Taught & Visionary art and artists, by:
- Locating works within the New Zealand art canon.
- Providing the ‘language’ required to engage in critical discourse through the proposed Self-taught and Visionary Art taxonomy/categories.
- Encouraging reappraisal and discussion of Self-Taught and
Visionary Art by publishing critical writings on the forms, artists and exhibitions.
Connecting New Zealand artists with existing
The website also sets out to:
- Promote discussion and raise awareness of a significant and of an often neglected strand of New Zealand vernacular visual
- Raise the profile and mainstream awareness of often marginalised artists
- Supporting community networking by promoting exhibitions, linking to
related organisations, etc.